Mar 28, 2011

Goals no concern for Torres

share on facebook

Spain international Fernando Torres is not letting his Chelsea goal drought affect his morale. The Liverpool marksman arrived at Stamford Bridge in January for a club record fee of £50million following a fruitful three-and-a-half year Anfield tenure. Torres is yet to find the back of the net for Carlo Ancelotti's side despite having made seven appearances for his new team.

The 27-year-old also failed to net in Spain's 2-1 win over Czech Republic on Friday and he insists that as long as the team wins it does not matter who gets the glory. Torres recently admitted he was ready to fire on all cylinders after taking time to bed into Chelsea's style of play, although he now admits he is still coming to terms with their system.


"I work hard for both Chelsea and the Spain national team; I help both and always try and help the team to victory," he told AS. "But more important than goals for me personally is Spain winning. I would have loved to have scored ten goals by now for my club but I was used to playing in a different formation and I am getting used to a new style of play.


"I find with Spain that teams sit back deep and there are few very spaces for us to exploit. It is still important though to create chances and get in the box; dry spells come to an end and the goals will soon arrive." The likes of Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou have been playing with each other for some time and Torres accepts he will not be able to learn their movements at the drop of a hat.


Torres is much more at home playing with Spain at the moment as he knows David Villa's game inside out and feels the pair complement each other well on the pitch. "Our obligation is to learn every day," he continued. "I try to learn in training from my team mates in attack; Drogba, Anelka and Kalou have been playing together for a long time so I watch how they train, their movements off the ball and how they link-up. I want to adapt and play like they do as soon as possible.


"But to be honest, all of the strikers have not scored of late and it is the players in midfield who have been scoring more recently. When I train with Spain, I look at Villa and Llorente; I have played with Villa a lot and we work well together, making good use of the space the other creates. I feel good, my morale is high and I want to help the team."


source



0 comments:

Post a Comment