Mar 29, 2011

Welbeck earns Capello call

share on facebook


The Manchester United player has scored six Premier League goals during his temporary move to the Stadium of Light and that form has been recognised by Fabio Capello. England look set to name as many as 11 changes against Ghana at a sold-out Wembley in a completely new team to that which defeated Wales in Euro 2012 qualifying last weekend.


Liverpool's £35million striker, Andy Carroll, is set to lead the line and Welbeck is therefore expected to feature on the bench and could make his senior team debut as a substitute. Welbeck has made 10 appearances for England's Under 21s, scoring three goals, but was not involved on Monday night, when Stuart Pearce's side suffered a disappointing defeat to Iceland.


The 20-year-old was excused from duty because he only recently returned from the injury which caused him to miss the majority of January and all of February at club level. But Capello has decided to call Welbeck, who scored in last week's U21 4-0 win over Denmark, into his senior squad.


Welbeck recently told the Newcastle Chronicle that his involvement with the U21s was important to him, despite the decision to not be involved against Iceland. He said: "I enjoy being part of the England U21s and I don't like missing games.


"It is fantastic to get picked for your country at any level and pulling on the Three Lions shirt means a lot to me. I'm at the stage of my career where I'm trying to make a name for myself. Coming to Sunderland this season is part of that and playing for the England U21s is another part of that - my performances for the U21s actually helped me get noticed in the first place."


source



0 comments:

Post a Comment