Mar 25, 2011

Capello criticises Ferdinand

share on facebook


Capello has reinstated Terry as captain ahead of the Euro 2012 qualifier with Wales after a year's 'punishment' following high-profile personal issues and is now set to lead the Three Lions out at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday afternoon.


Capello claims he was 'upset' for Terry during the game with Denmark when the captain's armband was handed out to a number of players while the Chelsea defender watched on.


An injury to Ferdinand means the Manchester United defender is unable to link up with the squad but rumours suggest that he is unhappy with the way the matter was dealt with, only finding out Capello's decision through the media.


However, the Italian has now laid the blame at Ferdinand's door by claiming he did not come to meet him when he visited Old Trafford for a UEFA Champions League clash earlier in the month.


Capello said: "It didn't happen, he didn't come. He didn't come."


Asked why the pair did not meet, he added: "This is a question for him, not for me. I was in the directors' box.


"I tried to meet him (Ferdinand) when Manchester United played against Marseille but he told me no.


"I can understand everything, but I need to make decisions. I think I will be happy and will meet him in the future."


Capello also admitted making mistakes during his handling of the captaincy, saying: "Sometimes I regret what happened. It is possible to do some things better, but it is the past.


"I can understand everything, but I need to make decisions."


Meanwhile, the former AC Milan coach has defended his decision to give the armband back to Terry following a year in the wilderness.


Terry has spoken of his pleasure at being reinstated and Capello admits his mind was made sure during the friendly against Denmark in February.


"Something happened in my mind when I saw the armband being passed around during our game in Copenhagen," he remarked.


"We changed it in the second half and it was unfair for John Terry to see this.


"I thought that it was time for John Terry, after punishment, to return and be captain.


"I know that Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard are not fit. I knew it was the moment, with one game which is so important, to have one captain like John Terry.


"I spoke with the players and personally with some players, and I spoke with the squad before I decided that John Terry will be the captain, and all the players were happy because John Terry was always a very important leader on the pitch and to the team."


England take on Wales in what is an important game in their quest to qualify for next year's tournament in Poland and Ukraine.


Capello is aware of the significance of the contest in Cardiff and was keen to discuss the match rather than the issue of the captain.


He said: "Are we here to speak about the captaincy or the Wales game? It is a really important game tomorrow."


source



0 comments:

Post a Comment